Neighbourly Matters

Neighbourly Matters

We have a long, varied and successful history in providing neighbourly matters and party wall advice in a variety of commercial and Residential settings. We have experience in undertaking a number of services in house and can also provide an advisory service where a referral is  required for legal advice or specialist consultation.

Party Walls – We have a great deal of experience in providing advice on party wall issues and acting as party wall surveyors. It is critical that party wall advice is sought at the early stage of a project to ensure that design decisions are made which respond to the legislative framework put in place by the Party Wall etc. Act. We have worked on projects for a variety of commercial and individual clients which include the John Lewis Partnership, Safestore and Barts Health NHS Trust. Work has included a variety of building types including retail, industrial, residential, healthcare and education.

Licences for Access and Oversailing – Licences concerning neighbourly matters can take various forms and ensure that where permission is required by others for undertaking project or maintenance work that this is recorded in a robust way and compensates those who are inconvenienced. We have a experience in producing licences for occupation and scaffold licences where site restraints demand that these are put in place.

Licences for Alteration – Although not strictly a neighbourly matter it is often a requirement of a lease that permission is granted from the landlord for alterations to a building. We have experience in producing licences for this purpose and would be happy to discuss your individual requirements. It is essential that permission for alterations is formally recorded as the need to reinstate the building as it was at lease commencement is often an issue which causes problems towards the end of a lease.

Advisory – There are a wide variety of neighbourly matters issues which can cause problems in delivering projects or which can cause loss of enjoyment of property. These include issues relating to rights of light, boundary disputes, easements, wayleaves & rights of way. Although we are not specialists in all of these areas we are well placed to provide initial advice and can refer or help you find specialists who are able to deal with your situation. Often our initial advice can save you considerable time and expense in understanding and researching issues yourself.

If you would like to see some examples of our work then please click on the link below.

Brennan Associates


Jubilee House,
CM13 3FR